Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default What actually Fails outside of Paper Capacitors

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 05:28:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

There is that. But, let's start with the wax: A mixture of beeswax (small amount),
paraffin, and petroleum jelly for handling. Does anyone here know how old pure
beeswax candles were made? Beeswax was dissolved in warm water, and the
wicks were dipped multiple times into the solution, picking up a bit of additional
wax each time. the keyword is *DISSOLVED*. Even paraffin wax holds water,
and beeswax is directly water-soluble.

I know a woman who does historical re-enactments. One of her things is
making candles. You are right, the wicks are dipped in pure beeswax,
(Many times), and each time they get thicker.

I am not sure if you're saying the beeswax is dissolved *IN* the water,
or if you mean the container holding the wax is placed in warm water.
But to clearify this, there is NO WATER *IN* with the beeswax.

Melting the container of wax with the container in some warm water would
likely work. Although she melts her container over a bed of hot coals,
which were created by burning wood inside a shallow hole in the ground,
surrounded by rocks. There is an iron grill across the rocks, and she
has a tin pan between the wax container and the grill (to keep wax from
dripping into the fire).

It's a simple but time consuming process. She says the main thing is to
keep the temperature right, so the wax stays melted, but dont overheat.
That's all accomplished by the spacing between the coals and the wax
pot, as well as the coals themselves.

At least now I know what wax is used, (or combination of). The petroleum
jelly (vaseline) part seems kind of bizarre, and why that helps with
"handling" makes no sense to me. But I'll take your word for it.

So, now we know how water molecules can migrate thru the wax. But that
dont explain how they get inside of those old plastic coated caps,
(called bumblebees), or similar old caps. Those are sealed real well,
unless they develop a crack.