Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default How long to dry

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/26/2017 9:45 AM, Jack wrote:
On 4/25/2017 7:30 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I came into 5 slabs of nicely splayed wormy Willow, freshly cut a
month ago. I see coffee tables in their future. Slabs are 2 to 3
inches thick. Will be stored in dry basement. I am thinking 18
months before they are ready to be worked. Any thoughts?

To help prevent checking, I would paint the end grains with a few coats
house paint or varnish. Nothing fancy or expensive.

The method I found works best is to melt wax into the end grain with an
old iron. Another I've used recently is to stick painters tape on the
ends of the boards. That is really easy and seemed to work well.

No one has yet mentioned playing classical music so it drys more mellow
and less checking. Do not play Ride of the Valkaries though.

nor Moonlight Sonata (3rd Movement)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/X7rQaysy5wI