Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default How long to dry

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 5:01:23 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
I came into 5 slabs of nicely splayed wormy Willow, freshly cut a month ago. I see coffee tables in their future. Slabs are 2 to 3 inches thick. Will be stored in dry basement. I am thinking 18 months before they are ready to be worked. Any thoughts?

Larry

PS They were free!

Yes, get a bathroom scale and weight it NOW. Then each month weight it and write the date and the weight on the piece. When it quits losing weight (i.e., reached its moisture equilibrium), its ready to use. ALSO, paint, as said elsewhere, paint the ends. You should have done that the day you got it, but later is better than never.