Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The Austin Brexit

In article ,
RJH wrote:
On 25/04/2017 22:45, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Go on, then. Give us some real world examples.

Two developed countries with no trade agreement at all produce a similar
thing. Lets say wheat. And it can be freely traded either way.

Since without an agreement there are WTO limited tariffs you have
carefully excluded all possibilities. It's like asking for dry water.

The Remoaner view is that there can be no agreement, and so trade will
be impossible; the Brexiteer that there will be no tariffs. I suggest
the final result will be somewhere in between.

That there will be no tariffs is not my view. I'm just pointing out
that no tariffs is a possibility.

No, you said they're a possibility the UK might choose. You're just
creating vacuous arguments to set out a fundamental position, then
backtracking on the detail. Just say you don't know and stick to your
principles. Others may or may not join the dots for you.

The UK (post Brexit) would be totally mad to allow in all imports free of
tariffs. As that would inevitably decimate what remaining production we
have. We are a high cost country, so can't compete on price alone with
those who have lower production costs.
And, of course, the same applies to other countries too. They won't allow
in UK products tariff/duty free if in competition with things they produce
locally. Or simply just to generate income for that state.

So the only way forward if turning our back totally on the EU is to form
new trade agreements with other countries. Something the leave lot said
would be easy to do. And that was simply a lie, as with so much else of
their dogma.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.