Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

On 26/04/2017 01:48, Rod Speed wrote:
RJH wrote
Rod Speed wrote
RJH wrote

Interested. Could you give me a couple of relevant examples of free
trade?

What happens within the EU is one obvious example.

It's pretty difficult to comment on such an example.

Nope, its one example of a group of countrys
that have chosen to have free trade.

The whole point of this discussion relates to when the UK leaves the
EU. The UK won't be in the EU (hence ''exit')

Pity about all of these that arent in the EU either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

If you look in the right hand column, you'll see they're agreements with
the *EU*. This entire discussion is about the situation the UK will face
when it leaves the EU. I agree they are examples of 'Free Trade' - but
with the EU. Not with a country like the UK.

And even so, they're not 'free trade' in the sense we're discussing. Of
the few I know anything about, they involve some sort of duty, tariff,
barter or subscription.

Take Norway - that's one country you give as an example of a free trade
agreement. Norway *pays* for that arrangement - it isn't 'free' in the
sense that's being discussed. A description of the arrangement is he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway...nion_relations

Are you suggesting that the post-EU UK will not have any such financial
'duty'? There may be some quid pro quoing (turnips for wine or
something) - but that's not 'free'.

But I do think you know all of this, and you're arguing for the sake of
it, or you are supporting some like-minded comrades out of loyalty.

All of that said, you may well have a point, and there might be an
example of free trade in the context we're discussing in that list - if
you give me one example, I'd appreciate it.

--
Cheers, Rob