Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OT Renting a car?

Ed Pawlowski Tue,
25 Apr 2017 14:31:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Are you shifting into drive from P or N?

I can shift into drive from either position. It will only allow me to
start it from those positions. I can't start it while in drive, but, I
can shut it down while in drive. Out of force of habit and proper driving
technique, I'm always on the brake pedal when I goto start it or shift
out of park/neutral, but, there's nothing forcing me to be.

Not sure when it became
effective but it is required to press the brake to get out of
Park. I thought it was in the 80's but not sure.
This has been revised and has many date but covers it
49 CFR 571.102 - STANDARD NO. 102;
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.102

[ 70 FR 38051, July 1, 2005, as amended at 70 FR 75965, Dec. 22, 2005]

The particular car I'm discussing was made in 1992. if I'm not in p or n,
it won't let me engage the solenoid, but, it will let me shut the car off
in any gear I desire and pull the key out of the ignition switch.