Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

RJH wrote
Rod Speed wrote
RJH wrote

Interested. Could you give me a couple of relevant examples of free
trade?

What happens within the EU is one obvious example.

It's pretty difficult to comment on such an example.

Nope, its one example of a group of countrys
that have chosen to have free trade.

The whole point of this discussion relates to when the UK leaves the EU.
The UK won't be in the EU (hence ''exit')

Pity about all of these that arent in the EU either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

I'm not sure how many times that needs to be repeated.

You're free to repeat it until you are blue in the face, pity about all
these.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

And there is free trade between Australia and New Zealand too.

You'd need to know some of the background to their relationship

I know that thanks.

- it's deep-seated, to say the least. Yes, they do have a liberal (not
free) trade relationship,

It is in fact a free trade relationship.

but that's arisen over many years and following huge trading change

It has in fact continued THRU huge trading change.

(ironically, particularly since diminishing ties with Britain in the
mid-70s).

Its been around for a hell of a lot longer than that and has nothing to do
with that.

It also has many aspects of reciprocity, so is bespoke,

All free trade agreements are.

and unless you can construct rough equivalence I can't see how that
example applies.

You asked for EXAMPLES of free trade. And got those.

if the UK manages such an arrangement in the mid-2060s, you may well have
a point. As it stands, not relevant.

Corse its an example of free trade. There are plenty of others too.

In fact hardly anyone has much in the way of tariffs and dutys on
consumer goods now except the EU with imports.

:-) see above.

Completely useless.

Most still do have with cars, but thats to protect the local car
industry.

Ostensibly, the local economy/community, and the image of the government
of the day. There's no such thing as a 'local car industry'.

There is in the sense of lots employed doing stuff with car manufacture.

You've suggested elsewhere that no deal with Nissan was ever made -

I never ever said anything of the sort. You're confusing me with someone
else.

looking a little silly right now.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Now, a *relevant* example? A nation state that has left a cartel,

The EU isnt a cartel.

and experienced free trade?

There are plenty of examples of countrys or groups of countrys
that have broken up and free trade continues. Like with
Czechoslovakia, Malaysia/Singapore, Iceland/Denmark etc.

I'm not saying it's not possible

Corse its possible, with plenty of examples of it.

- just, as things stand, unlikely.

Even sillier than you usually manage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements