Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

On 25/04/2017 20:07, Rod Speed wrote:
RJH wrote

snip

Interested. Could you give me a couple of relevant examples of free
trade?

What happens within the EU is one obvious example.

It's pretty difficult to comment on such an example. The whole point of
this discussion relates to when the UK leaves the EU. The UK won't be in
the EU (hence ''exit') - I'm not sure how many times that needs to be
repeated.

And there is free trade between Australia and New Zealand too.

You'd need to know some of the background to their relationship - it's
deep-seated, to say the least. Yes, they do have a liberal (not free)
trade relationship, but that's arisen over many years and following huge
trading change (ironically, particularly since diminishing ties with
Britain in the mid-70s). It also has many aspects of reciprocity, so is
bespoke, and unless you can construct rough equivalence I can't see how
that example applies. if the UK manages such an arrangement in the
mid-2060s, you may well have a point. As it stands, not relevant.

In fact hardly anyone has much in the way of tariffs and dutys
on consumer goods now except the EU with imports.

:-) see above.

Most still
do have with cars, but thats to protect the local car industry.

Ostensibly, the local economy/community, and the image of the government
of the day. There's no such thing as a 'local car industry'.

You've suggested elsewhere that no deal with Nissan was ever made -
looking a little silly right now.

Now, a *relevant* example? A nation state that has left a cartel, and
experienced free trade?

I'm not saying it's not possible - just, as things stand, unlikely.

--
Cheers, Rob