Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Tim Streater wrote

Sadly, it seems to be a standard Brexiteer response
to any points brought up about us leaving the EU.
Basically non of the usual tariffs and duties etc will apply.

More lies. There are no "usual tariffs and duties".
Only the ones we *choose* to apply.

He's right. And most dont bother anymore except with cars.

Main exception is the EU. No reason why Britain has to do that.

Go on, then. Give us some real world examples.

What happened with marmite that shot up in price as brexit was announced.

Nothing to do with tariffs because they didnt change.

Just another example of opportunistic gouging.

Two developed countries with no trade agreement at all produce a
similar thing. Lets say wheat. And it can be freely traded either way.

I'm not really interested in your theoretical 'we don't
have to apply a tariff' arguments, since protecting
home grown industry etc by tariffs is as old as the hills

Yes it was what the EU was doing so France didn't loose out
agriculturally.

More to prop up their very high cost tiny ag operations.

The CAP has always been a hybrid agricultural/welfare system
with the welfare system being funded by what the consumer
pays for what they produce, instead of funded by taxation.

Interesting approach, but no reason why
Britain has to go that route when out of the EU.

Makes a lot more sense for Britain to import food
and wine from the lowest cost most efficient producers
in the world, like it used to before joining the EEC.

Its obvious why it might choose not to do that
with some grog like scotch, gin even beer etc,
but it makes no sense with wine and most food.

I'm interested in how Brexit will apply in practice.

It will be intresting but we've always assumjed whastever deal
German negoitaotors have done has always been best for the EU.

I'm not sure whther the EU has to contribut
to the UN nuclear program or not.

Corse it does.