Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Renting a car?

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 11:54:43 +0100, "David B."
wrote:

On 25/04/2017 11:12, Diesel wrote:
I've learned from personal experience that if
I'm not on the brakes and I shift into drive, it's going to move, on
it's own without me touching the gas. It doesn't just sit and idle if
it's in forward or reverse. It pulls in drive and backs up in reverse
on it's own, as soon as I let off the brakes. Very nice for a stop
sign at the top of a hill. No roll back effect. It just pulls itself
forward while it's 'idling' at 1000 on the tach.

It is *designed* to be like that!

"A torque converter works much like two fans facing one another, one
running (the engine), one not (the trans.). Even at low speeds (idle),
the running fan still has enough airflow to turn the other. Hence, even
at idle, the engine is able to turn the trans ......"

None of my other rides do this, but, this one does.

THIS one is set up correctly! :-)

Perhaps not. The ideal setup is where the idle speed is low enough
that the car BARELY creaps when put in gear. just going off-idle
should make the vehicle start to move either forward or back depending
on what position the shifter is in.