Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Balanced XLR input - Do I use the High or Low for an unbalanced input.

In article ,
wrote:

The inputs on this commercial power amp has Balanced XLR inputs. They
are the 3 prong connectors like on modern microphones. But there is also
a barrier strip with 6 screws. (3 per channel). Each channel has GROUND,
HIGH and LOW.

To connect a short distance cord with RCA plugs from a receiver preamp
output, I know to use the GROUND for the outer shield, but do I use the
HIGH or the LOW for the signal IN?

I know the XLR is used for long distance cables, such as the "snake"
used by musical bands and theater systems. But I am not running that
kind of system, and the receiver output is simply an unbalanced short
run of cable (about 2 or 3 feet long).

I suppose I could just use the trial and error method without harming
anything, but I thought I'd just ask and do it right.

Thanks

Gareth's suggestion will probably work OK. If you experience any
problem with hum or distortion, look for an adapter to convert between
XLR's low impedance and your single-ended high impedance.

A family of such adapters is Shure's A95 series "Line Matching
Transformers". The A95A or A95F may meet your needs, depending on the
gender of your XLR connector.

Reference http://www.coutant.org/matching/a95.pdf

Fred