Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Which material for shelving?

On 25/04/2017 12:56, Bert Coules wrote:

Yes, Jim confirmed the appearance angle. Thin moulding wouldn't add
much in the way of stiffness, would it?

Sometimes I will "lip" a shelf with a deeper bit of softwood - say 1" or
so. It adds a little bit of stiffness, but is also a handy way to eek
out more shelves from a sheet of ply, since you can cut them very
slightly narrower and make up the difference with the lipping.

If you need the extra stiffness, then a deep lipping (i.e. one much
thicker than the shelf, that finishes flush with its top surface, but
descends below the bottom one) will do that.

Another option for cheap but stiff shelves is you buy "window board"
(i.e. the stuff designed to make internal windowsills). I used that with
some 2x1" battens on the sides and back for a "chunky" look:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ardShelves.jpg

(some to think of it, that was nearly 10 years ago, and I am still
intending to varnish those one day ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.