Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which material for shelving?

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
I have used solid wood for shelves intended to carry significant
weight, but as you say, you have to glue narrower pieces together as
you can't easily get the depth on single planks these days (well, I
couldn't, locally). Can't remember how I clamped them but it might
have simply been flat on the top of the Workmate, although how I did
the ends, I don't recall (they were typically 6ft long pieces), but
22" should be easy.

Pretty sure you can buy ready made shelving made out of real wood strips
glued together. Find the most economical length that can be cut to what
you need.

The other way would be (as you said) real engineered wood flooring, glued
back to back and clamped until dry. An end of range product could be very
good value.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW