Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OT Renting a car?

rbowman
Tue, 25 Apr 2017 04:07:58 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/24/2017 06:26 PM, Diesel wrote:
The 92 import I've acquired lets me turn it off in park, neutral,
drive, or reverse and remove the key. The ignition switch as well
as the key I've got for it appear to be factory, without anything
wrong with either of them...The shifter isn't on the column, it's
in the center console. I suspect that makes the difference.

No, the shift in my Toyota is in the console and you can't remove
the key unless it's in park, nor can you start the engine unless
you're on the brake. The previous Toyota was a manual and iirc you
could remove the key in any position.

I'm just telling you what my 92 SAAB 9000S lets me do. Now, it will
not engage the solenoid if I'm not in park or neutral. However, I'm
free to insert/remove the key and shut it down if it's already
running in any gear. It just won't let me try to start it if it's not
in park or neutral. There's nothing on the electrical schematic I
have for the car to force it to hold the key, and, as far as I can
tell, nothing in the diagrams I've got on the switching assembly
itself, either. It seems to be a solid ignition switch, not loose or
anything, so... this particular car seems to lack the ability to keep
my key until I put it in park. I don't have to be on the brakes to
start it, either, but.. I've learned from personal experience that if
I'm not on the brakes and I shift into drive, it's going to move, on
it's own without me touching the gas. It doesn't just sit and idle if
it's in forward or reverse. It pulls in drive and backs up in reverse
on it's own, as soon as I let off the brakes. Very nice for a stop
sign at the top of a hill. No roll back effect. It just pulls itself
forward while it's 'idling' at 1000 on the tach. None of my other
rides do this, but, this one does.