Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Storing passwords and associated security questions - X-post

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 8:47:05 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
It would also need to take account of the rice ntly very annoying
tendency
for web sites and services to impose password changes on you after a
certaintime. Yahoo seemed to want this. My answer was to close Yahoo email
and use something else.
To be honest its only machine access and financial services that really
need super security, the email suppliers are far more likely to compromise
your data than anyone hacking it at your end if frequent history is anything
to go by.
This should all really be a thing of the past by now. we should find some
biometric way to do it instead.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David" wrote in message
At the moment I keep a folder (well, more than one) with details like
online access passwords and security questions for various accounts.
Passwords kept with all the other paper work for the account.

Recently I unexpectedly needed some details whilst away from home, so the
system failed!

I am planning now to record the details on portable media for future
proofing. This also allows random answers to obvious questions like
mother's maiden name, first school etc.

I know you can get password managers which can sync between devices but
this places a lot of trust in a remote service, and LastPass has had some
bad press recently.

Assuming that I don't necessarily want automatic generation of long random
passwords and then pasting of them into web browser fields is there any
reason not to use a flat file (or simple spreadsheet) to record all the
details then use a free encryption package to secure them?

Probably stored on a USB stick.

The main platform would be Windows 10 but Android support would be a
bonus.

The solution should work on the home desktops and the travelling laptops,
so not tied to one PC.

This would also assist in a long overdue upgrade in general security.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

---

I use Dashlane for computer access of passwords
On my mobile I generally only want access to my banks accounts. These are numeric only. Based on tha fact that I can remembr car registration details with ease i keep a file on the phone with the bank ref and just the letters of that password. Easy to refresh my memory and the letters details are all I require.
Incidentally I can remember car reg details going back over 60 years. (fathers and mothers car reg details from when I was a lad, in a different country)