Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default O.T. electric cars - do they have gearboxes?

On 21/04/2017 11:21, wrote:
On 21/04/2017 08:04, RJH wrote:
On 21/04/2017 00:04,
wrote:
On 20/04/2017 17:23, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Brian Reay
wrote:

On 19/04/2017 19:47, Murmansk wrote:
I've just been for a ride in someone's Nissan Leaf - it was
impressive, so
quiet and amazing acceleration.

Do electric cars have a gearbox (an automatic one I presume)? Or does
the
motor just run faster the faster you go? I was told by the owner the
optimum
speed for economy of battery usage is about 55mph.

It doesn't sound like it's changing gear.

We looked at the Tesla and were told it didn't have a gear box.

We decided against all electric, we don't like the idea of being stuck
with a 'flat' battery on a journey. The idea of stopping for 'top ups'
on a long journey is fine until you consider the practical aspects.

As a matter of interest, is anyone looking (as in considering making) a
hybrid electric? As in, rather than having a powerful petrol engine, a
less powerful electric motor, a normal size fuel tank and a smaller
battery (like my Toyota Auris), instead have a full-size electric
motor, larger battery, but with a small petrol engine and small fuel
tank?

That way one could stop anywhere to recharge or even do it on the go.

A few months ago I went through the EV search, I think the ones with
small ICEs are called Range Extenders. I decided on a plug-in hybrid and
am very pleased with it - 208HP ICE and 80HP electric motor driving a
seven speed auto box with some magic arrangement of clutches that allows
one or both to drive, or neither, or to use the motor for regen braking.
All very clever but probably a maintenance nightmare when it gets old.

BMW 3 series? A friend has one and likes it.

No, it's a M-B C350E estate.

About the same price as the BMW - surprised, thought it'd be a fair bit
more.

--
Cheers, Rob