Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Older Sketchup???

On 4/24/2017 4:11 PM, dpb wrote:
On 04/24/2017 11:38 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/24/2017 11:28 AM, Leon wrote:

Many way to explain how to do this but learning the basic copy and move
commands should help.

OK, thanks for the hints/pointers. I hadn't yet recognized the
measuring tool was more than just informational--somehow my first foray
with it was in a mode that it wouldn't accept input; not sure precisely
why/how I got to the state was in as is often the case when one is "just
messing"...

I'll keep pluggin' away...

--

Something to consider, DON'T try to draw accurately with the
mouse/cursor. Just drag the cursor in the general direction along the

The measure tool is great for setting up guide lines of specific distances.

Say you have a 10' x 15' rectangle, call it a wall.

You want to add a window from that is 24" from the bottom. Select the
measure tool and click some where on the bottom line, not the end
points, and drag from there up from the bottom line. Type in 24 and
return. You will now have a dashed/dotted lay out line 24" above and
parallel the the bottom.

Repeat that for the sides and top of the window.

Now you can draw a rectangle on top of the layout lines. Click on a
corner of the lay out lines and drag to the opposite corner of the lay
out lines. The lay out lines are not a part of the object in the drawing.

Another short cut for erasing. I never use the eraser tool, I simply
hi-lite the line, lines, or component and hit the delete key.
With the erase tool you have to select individual items to erase. With
the delete key you simply click the item to delete and hit the delete
key or click and drag a selection box over every thing you want to erase
to select and then hit the delete key.

To un-do quickly press Ctrl Z. Much faster than clicking on the un-do icon.