Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default My wife picked up a TV

On 4/24/2017 12:56 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:15:48 -0500, amdx wrote:

My wife thinks I can fix anything.
Well I can't. She picked up this TV a few days ago, I finally plugged it
in. Looks like it fell over and broke. Here's a picture of the screen.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0i123un6o...10102.JPG?dl=0
What part broke?
Do these have the Fresnel lens over the screen.
I might salvage that.
What other parts can I salvage.

Mikek

If you live in my state, your wife would not be doing you any favors,
because we have to pay to dispose of tv sets, and it's not cheap.

Not sure what's inside that thing, but if there is a power transformer,
save that. Heat sinks, the line cord, possibly any power transistors if
they are screwed on. I suppose you could even unsolder resistors and
caps if you're real patient.

DOES IT HAVE A POWER TRANSFORMER? (I dont know?, since I never tore one
of them apart and wont work on them).

I actually look for old tube tv sets though. I save the power
transformers, output transformer, and all the tubes. The yoke goes in my
copper recycling box, to sell. I salvage some resistors, pots, and
things like terminal strips. The metal chassis can be sold for scrap
metal. (not worth much, but it's recycled). Because I live in the
country, I burn the plastic or wooden cabinet parts. The CRT is the hard
part to get rid of. I put it in a cardboard box, and smash it. Then that
goes in the trash (kind of hidden).

Either way, there is a lot more salvagable in the old tube sets for
someone (like myself) who works on tube stuff. I would not even consider
picking up something like you got.

The last one she picked worked perfectly. I had to buy a $12 remote
control. We have been using it daily at our business with out any
problem for almost a year now.
Mikek

---