Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Older Sketchup???

On 4/24/2017 9:42 AM, dpb wrote:
On 04/24/2017 9:21 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Be sure to turn what you have into a component before you start adding
stuff to it.

I'm beginning to get a crude idea, but facility is yet a _long_ way off!

OK, sorry I am getting in late here... But as you master just a few
skills things start progressing faster.

So, say start with a rough cube as outline of a four-square, you're
saying that should be turned into a component before adding on
additions, for example?

Yes! If your cube will be a separate part of the project you want to
make it into a component so that other parts, that you may attach to
it, will not become a part of it.

Note when you make a part into a component you can double/triple click
it to enter into edit mode for that component if you want to change or
add to it. And while in edit mode the other objects will dim and not be
affected even if they are attached or touching the component.

While it takes a bit of time to draw a single component you can make
countless copies of it almost instantely, ie. studs in a wall.
And remember that if you make a copy or copies of a component and edit
one of those components, all copies of that component will have the same
changes.

If you want to only change one of the copies of the component, hilite
the component, right click and choose "Make Unique". It will then be a
separate component with a slightly different name that you can rename or
not. I find it best to name every component as I create them so that I
understand that I am working with pieces of a project, the wooden parts
yu cut in your shop, instead of a bunch of lines.

In watching/reading more, it seems like where I was trying to create a
basic box from ground to upper header height, then add a roof slanted
back to wall, it may be "more easier" to instead create the total height
and slice away what not wanted...but, to get eaves overhang, seems like
should start with another outline...

Think about how you would build an actual box. First you cut the board
for the front. Now draw that board and make it into a component.
Second, you cut the board for the side. Now draw that board and make it
into a component. Third, cut the back and other side. Now copy the
front component and side components in the drawing to another spot on
the drawing and move them to attach to the components that they will be
attached to. In the work shop you may be gluing or nailing the
components together.

It is important to remember that each piece of the box in the shop is
also each component in the drawing.

There seem too many choices of which way to proceed...

I guess "time in grade" is required to figure out how to get to an
endpoint.

There are many way to draw a particular object. You will tend to go with
the way that works best for you. And then one day you will do it
differently and more quickly and think, why did I not do this like this
before. LOL