Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Woodburner Regulations

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
The SL18 was quickly followed by the Thorn 2D lamps - same idea but
with separate reusable control gear. (Thorn eventually sold all
their lamp manufacture to GE, although they retained luminare
design.)

Can you explain to the likes of me how a fluorescent tube with
separate control gear is a CFL?

The C stands for compact. The tube is compact - in comparison with a 4ft
batten fitting.

There were smaller than 4ft tubes around before the 2D. Surely what most
understand as a CFL is a complete unit which can replace a tungsten bulb?
Of course it would have made far more sense to stay with the 2D principle
- as it would with LEDs. A separate PS.

--
*My wife and I had words. But I didn't get to use mine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.