Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Older Sketchup???

On 04/24/2017 7:28 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message news
I was able to move the added feature (his step, my entry) back and forth
and get it close, but it's supposed to be 18" from the south side of the
house and the distance tool is 1' 6 1/16" and I haven't the manual
dexterity to get it to stop at the even inch. Somehow, there's got to be
a way to specify that distance but I can't figure out how, directly,
anyway.

He goes on to show raising a roof line by bisecting the area; that I see.
I'm puzzling over how to effectively lay a pitched roof back to the
sidewall--it's a similar problem to the above in I know the rise but not
sure how to specify that length above the top of the addition (his step
top) for the connection point.

When you start drawing, length appears at the lower right of the window. To
specify a length, stop drawing and just type the length, press ENTER when
finished.

That's on a line; I grok that. This is a start point for rectangle,
though. I thought it might be smart enough to figure that out but it
didn't; just the width/height. You could draw a line of the length to
the point desired for a target, but that's awfully indirect; I know
there has to be a way I just can't seem to find it...