Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Older Sketchup???

On 04/23/2017 9:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/23/2017 6:03 PM, dpb wrote:

two puzzlers that should be easy but can't finger out to save me...

1) The arrow keys to constrain to a given axes don't seem to function or
I don't know how to make them do so...what's the trick?

That is a feature that you have to hold your mouth just right. ;~)
I think it works best if you move the cursor in the correct direction
with the blue, red, or green line showing up and then holding down the
appropriate arrow key.

It is so iffy that it works much better in the latest version. Read that
as improvements have been made.

OK, so it's not just me, then...

2) ...So, now to add the porch addition, how do you set a distance from
one end as the start point for the next rectangle to pull out of the
face??? At least, from watching videos, that seems the way to make the
shape but all they do is free hand, not matching an existing/wanted
specific location.

I am not real certain I understand what you are trying to do but......

Can you show the link to the video that you are watching so that I can
watch and understand what you are trying to do?

https://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos/826

The first of those at that page is as good as any, Leon.

He shows how to start by pulling a rectangle to a solid, then lay
another rectangle on a face and pull to make steps, say. I grok how to
control width and height on the rectangle, what I can't figure out is
how to make the initial point a given, fixed distance from the vertical
(blue) axis corner on the face to match position of an existing feature.
It appears to me those are just freehanded or at one of the inferred
locations such as midpoint or the like, not placed at a specific location.

I was able to move the added feature (his step, my entry) back and forth
and get it close, but it's supposed to be 18" from the south side of the
house and the distance tool is 1' 6 1/16" and I haven't the manual
dexterity to get it to stop at the even inch. Somehow, there's got to
be a way to specify that distance but I can't figure out how, directly,
anyway.

He goes on to show raising a roof line by bisecting the area; that I
see. I'm puzzling over how to effectively lay a pitched roof back to
the sidewall--it's a similar problem to the above in I know the rise but
not sure how to specify that length above the top of the addition (his
step top) for the connection point.