Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default How to transfer files from phone to computer?

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 08:53:16 -0500, George Fields wrote:

After plugging my phone USB into computer, and changing settings to
transfer files from phone to computer, instead of charging, there
doesn't seem to be a way to get my file managers on either one to see
the other, and initiate a transfer.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

If you have a flip phone (not a "smartphone), good luck. It dont seem to
be possible. I just have a flip phone. If I enable bluetooth, and put a
bluetooth adaptor in my XP computer. I can save my contact list to my
computer, but not save any pictures or sound files. I took the phone to
a "phone store", and offerred to pay them to save soem pictures to a
flash drive. They said it's not possible.

If however you have a smartphone with a mini SD card inside. Just pull
that mini SD card out, stick it into an adaptor that makes it the size
of a standard SD card, and plug that into one of them SD card readers
that plug into your USB. Then just copy the files to your computer the
same way you would copy them from any source.

I learned this from a 17 year old neighbor boy. He dont have a computer,
but has that phone with lots of music and some videos and photos. He
said he learned how to do it from another kid, but since he has no
computer, he could not do it. I have all the adaptors, so I told him to
bring it over. I connected it to my XP laptop computer and that mini SD
card appeared as if it was a flash drive. I copied the whole card to my
harddrive, then copied it over to his flash drive, so he had a backup of
all his stuff. He told me to keep his music if I wanted it. (which I
did), and then I copied some of my music ot his card, and he could play
it in his phone when he put his card back in the phone. I think his
phone is Android based, but I am not 100% sure of that.
(I dont know much about smartphones).