Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Repairing "non-repairable" shoes.

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Which reminds me, I need this operation doing on one of my pairs of
shoes, because my left shoe always wears down on the LHS side of the
heel; the right shoe wears on the opposite side but far less so. Someone
who analyses gait would probably tell me that I walked all wrongly :-)

Yep, you mum was right, you should have been sent to your room
for not walking properly or flogged until you did walk properly if
you hadn't enjoyed that so much the last time she tried that.

It's interesting that it only really started about five years ago when I
had a heart attack and cardiac arrest.

Yeah, you likely did get some brain damage from
the oxygen starvation during the cardiac arrest.

Although I've made a pretty full recovery (confounding the doctors who
told my wife and parents that my chances of survival were low, and when I
did survive that my chances of not having brain damage were low) I did to
begin with have a bit of weakness on one side of my body,

Yeah, bet thats it, its affected your gait.

and I wonder if it's affected my gait in a way that I can't even notice

Yeah, but you limp in a way that a pro would notice.

I can still walk briskly or cycle, and I don't *think* I'm lopsided.

Not lop sides so much as a bit of a limp I bet.

Anyway, since then, then rear left edge on the heel of my left shoe seems
to wear.

Yeah, thats certainly the reason for it. You're very lucky
thats the only real downside you ended up with.