Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default General election

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
In article , Bod
writes:
From what I've read and heard, most Labour voters ARE like sheep. I
hear it all of the time "I vote labour because all my family have
always voted for Labour".

I think there's been a lot of truth in that, but a lot of people who had
always voted Labour for decades have abandoned the party in last couple
of years for two different reasons, Brexit, and the party's recent move
towards the far left (popular with Labour members, but less so with the
bulk of voters they need to attract).

Both Conservative and Labour voters were split on Brexit - it wasn't a
hard left/right issue. Now the Conservatives have come out heavily for
Brexit, they've pulled in lots of Labour Brexiters, and I think they'll
pull in all 5M UKIP voters (UKIP will be dead in 8 weeks). Conservatives
will lose some Remainers to Lib/Dems, but that will be small compared
with their gains from Labour and UKIP.

I think the "orpington man" might re-appear - in other areas than Orpington.

I think the most significant thing historically will be the number of
traditional left wing voters who've moved well to the right just to
ensure Brexit goes through. They'll probably move back a few years after
Brexit, but for now, they regard Brexit as more important than left/right
politics.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England