Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim... wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:

On 22/04/17 15:27, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , TimW

wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9-A5RRXcAA0ea9.jpg

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why there would be
tariffs.

The single market is a a tarriff-free zone

And tariffs on imports, even if we went WTO, would be under our
control. You seem to have bought into the lie that being WTO would
*automatically* mean tariffs.

Can you really see this country allowing in all imports with no
tariffs at
all?

More ****-stirring and making things up, I see. Did I say anything
about "all imports"? No.

From countries which will have imposed a tariff on our exports?

So if they impose tariffs, our tariffs would automatically spring into
life? You're just spouting more Remoaner bull****.

The problem with that line is there's more than one of "them"

We cannot remove tariffs from imports from the EU without also ...

There are no tariffs on stuff we import from the EU.

That's because we are in it.

There are also no tariff on stuff that we export to the EU.

Now.

but once we leave, we will have the EU External Tariff imposed on all
our exports to them, unless we enter into a trade deal with them.
That's a given. They aren't going to stop imposing tariffs on NZ lamb
(as just one example) because it means imposing tariffs on UK lamb.

What's our response to this situation? Play nice and not impose
tariffs, retaliate and impose them? Remembering that whatever we apply
to the EU we have to apply to ROW.

(FTAOD, I am generally on your side of the argument, it is just on this
point that I disagree with you. Not because I disagree with your choice
on principle, but because I think you are trying to make a too
simplistic choice that is fundamentally impossible)

UK tariffs are down to the UK. We can apply any tariff we like within the
WTO rules to any cou7ntry we like.

Not selectively by country under the WTO rules.

So, tax EU lamb, but not New Zealand lamb.

Not possible under the WTO rules without some sort of trade agreement.