Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default General election

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
You're one of those who thinks the money needed to run a country grows
on trees, then? And you can be pretty certain all those Tories in rural
areas will seek to protect their local agriculture.

The rural areas are already competing with imports. And I don't know of
any farmers who are producing French wine, italian cheese, etc etc, all
of which avoid tariffs at the moment and which the meeja was saying
would suddenly have large tariffs on them.

Are those what you consider 'food'? French wine part of your basic
sustenance? Italian cheese the only type you'll eat?

Meanwhile NZ lamb and Aussie wines, which have substantial tariffs on
them now, could be made cheaper if *we* chose to make them so -
something we can't do at the minute since these are subject to the EU
external tariff.

You seem to have moved the goalposts to lamb now. Something you obviously
think not produced in the UK.

But yet again you've totally missed the bigger picture. Of course we can
import anything we want from anywhere, tarrif free, after leaving the EU.
But to earn the money to do so means exporting things, goods or services.
And the quid pro quo would be the country we import from tarrif free
taking (some of) our exports tarrif free too. It would be good to hear
about all those killer products made in the UK that other countries can't
wait to get their hands on.

Bentleys range rovers airbus wings JCB excavators etc etc
--
bert