Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Repairing "non-repairable" shoes.

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 22/04/2017 14:49, Another Dave wrote:
I've got a pair of shoes which are a bit down at heel. The leather
uppers are in fine shape and the soles have quite a few miles left.

The problem is the heels. They seem to be solid from top to bottom i.e.
there's no removable sole I can replace. To complicate matters there's a
circular shock absorbing insert down the middle.

Are you saying that some shoes are made with a heel that is separate from
the sole and is glued/welded onto it in such a way that this bond can be
broken and a new heel attached to the sole? All the shoes I've seen have an
all in one moulded sole/heel, and when I've had them re-heeled, part of the
heel has been ground off to make a flat surface onto which a new
partial-thickness heel is bonded.

Which reminds me, I need this operation doing on one of my pairs of shoes,
because my left shoe always wears down on the LHS side of the heel; the
right shoe wears on the opposite side but far less so. Someone who analyses
gait would probably tell me that I walked all wrongly :-)