Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing "non-repairable" shoes.

On 2017-04-23, Tim+ wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

Unless you're dead set on DIYing it I would have thought it makes
more sense to take it to someone with all the tools, glues,
replacement soles and experience. Far more likely to make a
reasonably lasting job of it (if it's possible) than doing it
yourself.

The local shoe repairer said it wasn't possible, hence my question.

Ah, that's different then, now it's a challenge! ;-)

Perhaps I'll try elsewhere.

No harm asking. It may be time time to write the shoes off but
hopefully you'll find someone prepared to "give it a go". That said, I
wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

I've been wearing Clarke's Polyveldts (now called something else, I
forget what) all my life (*) , and they always fail the same way - the
sole cracks across at the ball of the foot. I've never found any way of
fixing them, the every shoe repairer I've shown them too has declined to
attempt it. No glue I've ever used will close the crack for more than an
hour or two. The uppers are always OK, and I just sigh deeply and throw
them away. Any way of fixing them would be most welcome.

(* Called "programmer's shoes" by a FOAF)

I used to wear those, for years, but stopped. It may have been because
they didn't apparently make them any more, so I'd be interested to know
what they *are* called now!

And yes, they always failed at that point.