Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Repairing "non-repairable" shoes.

On 2017-04-23, Tim+ wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

Unless you're dead set on DIYing it I would have thought it makes more
sense to take it to someone with all the tools, glues, replacement soles
and experience. Far more likely to make a reasonably lasting job of it (if
it's possible) than doing it yourself.

The local shoe repairer said it wasn't possible, hence my question.

Ah, that's different then, now it's a challenge! ;-)

Perhaps I'll try elsewhere.

No harm asking. It may be time time to write the shoes off but hopefully
you'll find someone prepared to "give it a go". That said, I wouldn't get
your hopes up too high.

I've been wearing Clarke's Polyveldts (now called something else, I forget
what) all my life (*) , and they always fail the same way - the sole cracks
across at the ball of the foot. I've never found any way of fixing them,
the every shoe repairer I've shown them too has declined to attempt it. No
glue I've ever used will close the crack for more than an hour or two. The
uppers are always OK, and I just sigh deeply and throw them away. Any way
of fixing them would be most welcome.

(* Called "programmer's shoes" by a FOAF)

Clarkes fit whole new soles, or used to.

The original Polyveldts were fantastic shoes but I've not see them for
35 years or so. There are Clarkes' shoes with similar soles etc but not
the original style. I've had some resoled in the past. Whether it is
economic is debatable, as I recall it cost about half the new price but
you could sometimes get new shoes at a Clarkes outlet for 2/3 the high
street price.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud