Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

On 04/23/2017 12:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've lived in dark green areas (from the first map) most my life. Seeing
corn is as normal as seeing cows between my aunt and grandma's house.

The great thing about those dark green areas is that the entire world
begins anew every 3-4 months. Planting: the corn starts turning the
brown/black soil to a bushy green. Growing: The roads turn into a kind
of tunnel. Harvest: neat nooks and crannies develop. Winter: You can
see for miles and miles.

We're one of those in the tier in the SW corner KS...it's almost all
irrigated, though, so isn't planted full up to the sides of the roads
continuously as is in IA, say. Corners are dedicated to dryland wheat
or sometimes milo or often enrolled in CRP grass. So, it's not closed
in out here; we can see horizon 20+ mi away virtually all the time
unless you're out in it directly.

The high-production areas on the map in TX panhandle are similar as
well...the south TX stuff along the Rio Grand up from the Gulf above
Brownsville is a lot of sweet corn including maternal grandparents old
place that uncle/cousins have now...it's much smaller scale/different
style farming down there...truck farming, citrus, etc., than commodity
grain production...