Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_] ARW[_2_] is offline

Default Moving ceiling light

On 23/04/2017 07:38, wrote:
On Sunday, 23 April 2017 06:50:50 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2017 22:35, Roger Mills wrote:
On 22/04/2017 21:57, ss wrote:
I am sure the answer I had before was that it was ok to put a choc box
connection in the existing light wiring and take a lead to the new
location (about 2 metres max)
The idea is I can do this from the room below as I am trying to avoid
going in to the attic and wrestling with the insulation and it will be
in a cramped location with no flooring.

Question:
When I feed the `new` cable along to the new location it will
effectively be under the insulation, will this be ok?

The cable will have a lower current rating if any heat it generates
can't escape, but it's ok as long as you take account of this.

Hopefully Adam or someone will be along with chapter and verse, but if
it's a single light, I imagine that 1mm or 1.5mm cable will be ok.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...g_A_Cable_Size

gives all the details.

But the quick reply is that 1mm T&E has a maximum rating of 16A when
clipped direct/in the air etc but along with all other T&E cables it has
it's maximum load reduced by 50% when fully buried in insulation.

Hence a a 6A MCB can generally supply a 1.0mm lighting circuit with a
load of 1.3kW where the cable is covered in insulation (other
considerations may be needed)

pendant lights are rated 100w max.

The OP did not say it was a pendant light.

It could be a big **** of chandelier with 10 x 100W lamps that he wants
to hold onto before giving the wife a good seeing to.

--
Adam