Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving ceiling light

On 23/04/17 03:18, John Rumm wrote:

Its not usually a problem with lighting circuits since the cable is
significantly over specified in the first place.

Do you know if this is a hangover from the 20s and 30s when "lighting"
circuits were often used for devices with a moderate power consumption?
I can most certainly remember in the 50s when my mother used to iron by
plugging it (bayonet plug) into a two-way connector in the ceiling
light. As far as I remember, the only time the 15 amp wall socket was
used was for a 2 or 3-bar heater.

With even lower power needed for lighting in these days of LEDs (and
CFLs), isn't rather a lot of metal being wasted unnecessarily in the
wire in lighting circuits?

--

Jeff