Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT Renting a car?

On 4/22/2017 9:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had a 86 Subaru with a Hill Holder Clutch. On a incline of at least (I forget
how many) degrees, you would depress the brake and the clutch. You could then
release the brake and it would stay on until the clutch was high enough to engage the tranny and begin to move the car forward. No more rolling backward
or stalling and a lot less wear on the clutch.

If I recall correctly, they did with a ball inside the master cylinder
that would roll backward and seal something. I forget what made it release
once the vehicle had started moving, since you were often still on a hill.

I recently saw a commercial where some new vehicle had that feature. I'm sure
it's computer controlled now, not mechanical like back in the 80's.

Studebaker had it about 1950. My son had it on his Subaru. Nice feature.