Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Do Toilet Bowls Really Wear Out?

On 4/22/2017 6:12 PM, Boris wrote:

Didn't you say this all started because of bad water heater? What was
the actual problem?

The problem was that the old water heater's pan had rusted through from
sediment accumulation, and was leaking. It was noticed when the person
up in the morning only got luke warm water in the shower. The water
heater was about 10 years old, too, It broke on Memorial Day, and
people were coming. Yikes.

DAGS for water heaters and water pressure. In a
closed system water heaters apparently don't like high pressure and
can fail because of it.

What is "DAGS"? New codes required an expansion tank,whis is a tank the
size of a bbq propane tank, and sits on top of the water heater.

As far as "no gushers in the neighborhood", I gotta ask:

Do you know for a fact that none of the other houses have pressure
regulators? Is it possible, based on what you know, that your dad's
house is the only one without a PRV?

I'll ask neighbors the next time I'm there.

Thanks. All very good questions.

DAGS = Do A Google Search
You will find that many codes have a max of 80 psi and most regulators
are set to 50 psi

Overly high pressure does cause excessive wear on valves and fixtures.