Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_79_] Steve[_79_] is offline

Default Anyone ever built an Island-like Range Hood?

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:25:07 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:

Do you know the recommended square footage for the hood, and the
height off the top of the range and oven so that it can operate
efficiently with the fan you currently have?

What about grease filters and grease traps? The loss of pressure
across the air filters, and is you fan actually rated for use above a
stove?

Is it an inline fan or a canned fan?

These are all critical factors for proper smoke/odor/heat exhaust.
This size of your range has a great deal to do with it.

Will you have a heat sensor in your hood to automatically turn on the
fan when cooking or baking?

Thanks, OFWW-- I do know some of this info, but I'll need to look up the rest.

Height off grates, from what I can tell, can vary-- (but I'll defer to your knowledge.) I bought a bigger model (in CFM) because I wanted to keep it a little higher than the norm, help me retain those lines of sight, and reduce the risk of fire, since I'm using wood to build this thing as opposed to stainless (for example.) I think I'm looking at installation about 34" above the top of the grates...

....but now that I think about it, that statement doesn't answer the question of whether 34" is to the bottom of the insert, or the bottom of my hood's box, which I imagine extends an inch or 2 lower.

in re filters or traps... I think filters, but I'll need to refresh my memory of the exact type. Not sure about inline or canned. I'll need to look that up, frankly. Thank you for expanding my knowledge here!

Yes, the fan is intended for use over a stove... HOWEVER I will acknowledge that it was NOT intended for use in an Island. This was another reason for my up-sizing this purchase to 500 CFM. The Duct is sized properly for this unit @ 6" I understand that I'll need make up air somewhere, too.

The range is "decent sized" but by no means enormous-- it's not one of those 'residential commercial' models or anything. Samsung, 5 burners, 17,500 BTU for the largest, if I recall.

No automatic sensor.