Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Reclaimed

On 04/22/2017 1:47 PM, wrote:

Yup, worked fine! While I didn't reference it, your link was what
prompted a post further up the line.

Ah, ok...

On "the project", it's that entry addition w/ the brick facing that is
the prime focus; as is obvious (I think?) it's an old porch that dad
just filled in when they redid. It has settled/pulled away from the
house significantly and the brick, while has been on there since the
early 50s when it was still just screen porch, just "doesn't look right"
and there isn't enough footer that it has settled. Didn't help that
during the time since the Dirty 30s and again in the 50s it had built up
as much as 12-18" of higher level in the yard so that the house was
sitting in a hole, in essence. I have drug the yard back down since but
where there's a slightly observable larger gap at the south (LH side of
the top of the screen door in the picture, that is now some 10-12 yr
later 1/2". Surprisingly, the header is still level, the top of the
frame appears to have moved south. Also, the brick facade at the NE
corner had a gap between it and the wall above at that corner that I
stuck a 3/8" ply into before just caulking it up for the winter. Turns
out there were a zillion wasps behind there, apparently, and they've
been finding their way out thru interior cracks all spring. Seem to
have finally about got rid of them, though, the numbers are dwindling.
Inside, the outer wall has also separated from the floor so there's a
gap developing there of 1/8" or so...

That was taken about 6-7 yr after we came back so only that long on the
paint; it didn't look too bad, then. I need to take a few more recent
to show the present state.

Anyways, it seems to me two choices--

1) just rip out the infill sections while propping up the roof and fill
in again squaring stuff up and hope with the regrading that it doesn't
settle much more, or

2) tear off the whole entrance addition/porch and rebuild from scratch.

I wish I could enlarge it some as it's only 5'9" interior depth, but
that means raising the roof line unless drop the floor level as interior
ceiling height is only 7' 6" now and there's not enough length in the
dining room to extend the table to accommodate the leaves at present w/o
moving into the entry way so that's not really feasible. If raise the
present roofline, only about 5-6" at most and leave clearance under the
2nd-story windows or get into the previously-mentioned problem of
replacing the original leaded glass...

On the overall, it's just that I think the 8" siding pattern just also
isn't as attractive as would be narrower so I'm seriously considering
the reside for the whole thing while we're at it...

Anyways, again thanks for the input--helpful, it was...