Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Renting a car?

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:27:33 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:37:12 +0300, Micky wrote:

1) The tires have not reached the supposed "must replace" level,
where the the tread is the same height as set of rubber bands that go
from one side of the tread to the other (I'm sure there's a name for
this), but the tread is only about twice that deep.

Somewhere I got the idea that major car rental companies replaced the
tires will before this level**. Am I wrong about that? **(and
that's one source of used tires).

I doubt companies like Hertz keep cars long enough to wear out tires.
They generally replace them on a 2 year cycle or when they get into
the 40-50k miles range. Rental cars do not usually rack up that many
miles. My next door neighbor is the lot manager for Hertz headquarters
and he just got a 2015 Chrysler 300 with 20k miles from the used car
operation. ($14k)

Our local car rental fleets are generally under 18 months old -very
seldom more than one model year old, and usually current models. I
doubt any get tires replaced during their tenure as rentals.

When Mikey wrote "This time I'm confused." It was kinda anticlimactic.
He accuses me of "picking on him" - but gee, he makes it SO EASY!!!!!!