Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Birth Of A Dugout Canoe

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , markem618
@hotmail.com says...

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:23:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 12:54:38 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Question: At about the 6 minute mark he begins to clear out the innards. You
can see some pretty wide saw kerfs running both lengthwise and widthwise. I'm
thinking chainsaw. Isn't that cheating? ;-)

Nah cheating would be adapting a stump ginder.

Just a note, but the "Guild of Northmen" is a tool company--I suspect they
want you to buy all the stuff they showed that was used to make the canoe,
and that they didn't show the tools that they used that they don't sell.

http://www.northmen.com/en/about-us/who-where-and-why
http://www.northmen.com/en/products

Same folks (new name) produced the 'Birth Of A Wooden House'
video last year.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/157572718

Those guys got mad skillz. I'd a cut my foot off the first time I tried to
use that axe.