Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default [ OT ] FRS radios / 2-way radios

Roger Grady ) said...

What baffles me about the FRS/GMRS situation is that the FCC is
allowing the manufacturers to sell combination radios, knowing full
well that nobody is going to apply for the GMRS license. I bought a
couple of Uniden combo radios a while back, and while the manual does
refer to GMRS needing a license it does NOT tell you which channels
are which. So even if one wanted to be law-abiding and stay off the
channels you don't have a license for, you can't find out which ones
to avoid by reading the manual that came with the radios.

I cannot say for sure, but I suspect that if you use a unit capable of
the GMRS band, you need a licence. It's not enough to be legal if you
only use the FRS channels because you don't have a licence.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon