Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Reclaimed

On 4/22/2017 8:28 AM, dpb wrote:
On 04/21/2017 11:32 PM, Leon wrote:

I have used both types. Time is money.... but Hardie requires a special
type of primer that will stick to this type material. Not that this is a
problem but if it is not right, the paint may fail. Preprimed, you know
it is the correct coating.

What (I think?) I've learned is also that those with prepainted in all
the class-action lawsuits against Hardie have had early failures in
multiple ways including the required/recommended color-matching caulks
turn color that don't match, finish coatings are thin and washout
quickly and all kinds of tales, even when (purportedly) installed per
spec's. I'm thinking I'm staying away from cement fiber based on what
I've seen so far...

--

Well there is always a fly in the ointment. LOL

I replaced the majority of the siding on my precious home with Hardie
about 12~17 years ago. It was not preprimed, I was not sure if it was
offered by my supplier at that point. Anyway the siding has held up
wonderfully and has not yet been repainted. I did preprime and paint.

Fast forward a few years, I built a storage shed in my back yard and
used Hardie preprimed. 12 years later the paint is still good.

My current home builder used preprimed Hardie on the exterior where
there is no brick and so far so good after just over 6 years.