Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Now , about Linux Mint ...

Bud Frede
Fri, 21 Apr 2017
10:24:00 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Diesel writes:

"Terry Coombs" news Sat, 08 Apr 2017 01:24:05 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I decided to try it out in one box that's kind of "extra" as a
dual boot with WinXP Pro - on a separate hard drive of course .
Ran into a formatting (?) problem early on in the install though
, and decided to come back to it later .
The times they are a changing . And that was fershure Dylan .

Just so you know, I'm using Linux Mint 17.3. 18x series hasn't
matured enough yet, imho. So, I'm waiting that one out. Your box
specs are decent, so I'd go with the KDE version with codecs. 18x
series doesn't include them. I *hope* they reconsider that in a
later release. You can install them once it's up and running
though, if you decide to roll with 18...

I have quite a few servers running on Ubuntu 16.04, which is what
Mint 18.x is based on. Both of my desktop systems are running Mint
18.1. I haven't had any issue with stability.

Excellent. However, the fact 18.1 exists and 18.2 is just around the
corner indicates to me atleast, it's not as mature as 17.3, just yet.
So, I'll continue waiting for a bit longer. I also have 17.3 running
various servers for me, and, I prefer stability over 'new' features
that are already being changed to 'improve' them further.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3228

I have various things that I want a computer to do for me, and I'd
rather that it do them with the minimum of muss and fuss.

Same here.

I don't want my desktop environment to change radically every few
years like it does with Windows, KDE, or Gnome.

Which desktop are you running on 18.1?