Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Flipping over turf

On 22/04/2017 05:54, Rod Speed wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 14:21:49 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 12:05:48 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 20/04/2017 09:00, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 13:50:57 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/04/2017 23:42, newshound wrote:
On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that
grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they
eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom,
which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf
plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

Only if you rake it or use a box. I don't. Even people
who do still have healthy green lawns without adding
anything, so clearly it doesn't need fertiliser.

For a while.

Forever.

Agreed.