Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diesel scrappage

On 20/04/2017 23:17, charles wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
On 20/04/2017 08:18, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , mechanic
wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 00:06:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article , mechanic
wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:50:46 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And how about those who live there? Are they to be denied owning a
car?

Do they need one? Try public transport (at least in London).

The obvious retort to that is if you need a car because of where you
live, move. Makes as much sense as you've done.

Not too much sense on here so far; many would walk/cycle/use public
transport if those alternatives were suitable.

The snag tend to be everyone wants everyone to use those far more
worthy ways of getting around - except themselves, of course. 'They'
always have excuses why only they need a car.

Where we are bus routes are being cut so such alternatives are
limited - city dwellers tend to have more choice.

Bus routes tend to be cut if they are little used.

and, by being cut, become useless and even less used. Our first bus
into town is at 10.35 and there are only two more in the day.

I can drive to work in under 20 minutes door to door.

The alternative is a 15 minute walk to the station, with a lot of pain
due to arthritic knees (10 minutes for someone else), plus allowing a
spare 5 minutes in case of meeting someone on the way or just having to
stop because of the pain.

The train then takes another 15 minutes (assuming it is on time) where I
am likely not to get a seat, so even more pain .

I then have to get from the station to work, I cannot walk it - I would
be in agony. The first bus doesn't leave the station 'til half and hour
after my train arrives and takes another 10 minutes. I can't catch a
later train without being late.

Then I have the same in reverse at the end of the day.

So 30 to 40 minutes a day by car or about 140 minutes by public
transport. That extra 100 minutes per day (ignoring the pain, the
frustration and the fact that I cannot be in and leave work at the times
I need to), adds up to over 8 hours a week less paid work time (I am
paid by the hour) or 8 hours less time with my family.

but you have a car and can drive. Not everybody is in that fortunate
position.

I am not against public transport - in fact I'd like to see all local
buses and trains made free to use, but the costs would be very high and
the surge in use would probably bring the whole system down.

I am against trying to force people not to use cars.

SteveW