Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O.T. electric cars - do they have gearboxes?

On 21/04/17 19:48, NY wrote:
Diesel is 45 MJ/kg. Its density is 0.8 kg/l, so the energy is 45/0.8 =
56 MJ/l. So if I fill up with 60 litres in 5 minutes, that's a power
transfer of

56*60/300 = 11 MW (!)

Well diesels are at best 40% efficient and leccy motors at least 80%, so
halve that to 5.5MW.

Not that big a deal. similar to a train starting up I'd say. Its about
7000 bhp. So 10 formula one cars in qualifying trim...

So very doable at a custom built motorway service station, if not in yer
garage.

But thats where the car is kept and charged overnight innit?

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly