Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 9:50:11 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Nicely done...only comment/suggestion I'd make would be to have used
one board for the top/bottom stiles so would have unbroken grain
across both when closed...now it jars (my eye, anyway) where they
meet...probably go away to a large extent when finished, but...

I was wondering when someone would comment on that, because I would
have. :-)
That was actually my plan when I was laying out and cutting the boards,
but the client said it would look "too matched" and not barn door enough.

Around here they aren't just using these barn door installs as closet or room doors. The fad here is to use them as room dividers. My client screwed around too long with his plans and then way out of budget so I didn't get the job. Thankfully! But he did do a couple of things that he wanted.

They actually looked nice as they have a "country" kind of rustic look to their house. On one side they had the build made to look like a giant fence gate, stiles and a diagonal brace. Painted a kind of red primer color, very rustic. It went well with their rustic kitchen. The other side (think 10' ceilings and barn doors to match) was simply the long boards cut to the same lengths. The wood was a weathered look with kind of a satin/black wash on it. So it looked good on the kitchen side as it had one distinct look, and it looked like a wood wall feature on the other side.

I could see there was some care in making the project look the way the customer wanted. Rustic enough to look like a decorating statement, but the joinery/fit/finish just tight enough to look good.

Robert