Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 4/21/2017 8:00 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Living with the threat vs. somewhere else probably gives you a better
understanding of the risks. We have all read of the big one way back
when when, it was mass destruction. BUT that was from fires and broken
water lines. I would imagine in the hundred years since, the
advancements in engineering would less the blow considerably.

Oh, there's no doubt that San Franciscians took it to heart immediately.

The water infrastructure was improved, construction standards changed
after every major California earthquake incorporating lessons learned.
Because of that the damage to SF in 1989 wasn't particularly major outside of the
Marina district. In the financial district where the 50+ story towers
are, they all survived intact. They did end up tearing down the
Embarcadero freeway (another double decker), but that's more due to
folks disliking it esthetically rather than due to cost to repair.
(The supervisors had voted to tear it down four years before the quake).

I must say that the boulevard that replaced it is esthetically much
nicer, but traffic on the embarcadero can be slow, particularly on
weekends with all the weekenders heading to the wharf, Fort Mason
and Ghiradelli Square.

http://www.upout.com/blog/san-franci...eway-came-down