Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Diesel scrappage

In article , NY
news
I remember trundling along the line from reading to Canterbury once,
many many years ago. There were 3-4 people on it all the way on and
off. I went back via London. Much faster.

That was just after Beeching.

I doubt it gets any more traffic today. It simply doesnt connect people
and their work.

Are there still any services that run end-to-end Reading to Canterbury? I
would imagine that there is a fairly healthy Reading to Gatwick usage,
with separate Redhill to Canterbury (or Redhill to Tonbridge) service
that has lower usage. And does it matter if few people made the
end-to-end journey, if more people travelled between various
intermediate stations? I would imagine there are lots of lines where few
people travel from A to Z, but many travel from A to F, C to H, D to Z
etc (where stations are in alphabetical order).

There used to be a "Birkenhead to Margate" service.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England