Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

OFWW writes:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:31:06 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/20/2017 3:03 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Personally, I'll risk the earthquake over living in tornado alley.

A tornado is very selective and does not typically do damage over
thousands of square miles. Repairs can usually begin immediate.

No, but they happen _every_ year, and in volume during the summer.

Earthquakes are quite infrequent.

Major earth quakes and hurricanes typically deliver damage with a broad
stroke, tornados, not so much.

I agree. But I prefer getting it over quick, like in an earthquake.

I've experienced two major earthquakes (Wittier Narrows, Loma Prieta)
and a few minors (Napa a few years ago). For the most part, the damage
is localized (similar to a tornado, more localized than a hurricane). For
Wittier narrows, I was living about 7 miles from the epicenter and it
did no damage to my home, and very little at my office. With the Loma
Prieta the total damage ($5billion) was less than katrina ($108 billion)
even when adjusted for inflation.

I'll take the earthquake anyday. The risk of an 8+ is much lower than the
risk of a F5 tornado or a cat IV hurricane.