Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diesel scrappage

On 21/04/17 13:00, bert wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

But of course things change. With much increased road traffic and travel
times by road, some of those branch lines could well be economic today.
But once closed are almost impossible to re-instate.

So you would have subsidised them for 50 years on the off chance they
may be useful one day.

Its someone elses money innit?

Actually branch lines aren't economic today either.

I remember trundling along the line from reading to Canterbury once,
many many years ago. There were 3-4 people on it all the way on and off.
I went back via London. Much faster.

That was just after Beeching.

I doubt it gets any more traffic today. It simply doesnt connect people
and their work.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)